Purpose of Narijibon Blog

Nari Jibon Project seeks to increase our students’ and staffs’ abilities through different ways: classes, practice, computers, internet, and now the Narijibon Blog. Readers and writers (our students & staff) of the Blog will both learn about our lives, culture, Nature, activities of people in Bangladesh and the Nari Jibon Project.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

What is the biggest celebration of your community each year?

Nargis Sultana
ID: 886
English Section

Pahela Baishakh, Eid festivals, international mother language day, victory day etc are the biggest celebration of our community each year. But Eid festivals are the biggest religious festival of the Muslim across the world. Eid means pleasure. Eid festivals bring happiness to the Muslims. There are two Eid festivals. They are Eid-ul-fitr and Eid-ul-azha. Eid-ul-fitr comes out after the holy month of Ramadan. After the month of Ramadan the first day of Shawal is the Eid-ul-fitr festival. In the morning of the Eid day I found my mother and sisters preparing different kinds delicious items of food and sweets. In the morning I wake up and said my Fazr prayer. I went to the pond and took my bath with sweet smelling soap. Then I came to our house. I ate some sweets. Then I and my brother put on new dresses. My brother took his prayer at the Eidgah Masque. He found people coming to the maidan [field]. He saw the Imam was speaking about the significance of month long fasting and the Eid-ul-fitr. Some delicious foods were cooked at our house. Eid-ul-Azha is quite different from Eid-ul-fitr. After two months and nine days Eid-ul-Azha comes. It is particularly an occasion of sacrifice. Animals are sacrificed by the name of God and the poor get a share of the meat. I got much pleasure. Thus I spent the afternoon. I think Bangladeshi people celebrate theses two days like me. So Eids are the biggest celebration of our community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post! I'm curious about the food eaten during the celebrations. Is there one traditional dish that is eaten the most?